LUCA has prepared a guide to help competition organisers plan and execute a track and field meeting. The guide is built on the experience of organising our own competition and supplemented with advice from the LICC and England Athletics. The guide is suitable for events ranging from varsity matches to larger competitions. We always welcome feedback to improve the guide. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to use this guide
- Click on the hyperlinks to be directed to more information (note that some links are external links).
- Remember that this is a guide and is not designed to provide an answer to every question about organising a track and field meet.
- Read the whole guide in advance. Documents that are required on the day will need to be printed or ordered before race day. Give yourself plenty of time and prepare for the unexpected (printers breaking, delays in delivery etc).
1) Appoint an Organising Committee and a Meet Director.
2) Follow the checklist below. The checklist can also be downloaded as a word document.
Before the event
|1||Venue Booking||List of tracks in London|
|2||Draft Timetable||More information here|
|3||Draft Information Sheet||Information Sheet Template|
|4||UKA Permit||More information here|
|5||Invite Officials||More information here|
|6||Invite First Aider||List of providers here|
|7||Set deadline for entries if desired||One week before event is advised|
|8||Send entry sheet and publish documents online||Team Sheet Template
LUCA Guest Template
|9||Promote the event||Promote your event with LUCA and London Athletics (London events only)|
|10||Purchase numbers and saftey pins||First4numbers|
|11||Purchase medals||Classic Minitures|
|12||Process entries into spreadsheet (inc. number assignment and seeding)||Template online soon|
During the event
|1||Name/Number list||List of all names and corresponding athlete numbers|
|2||Numbers||Organised by team where possible|
|3||Timetable||Printed and displayed around the venue|
|4||Catering for officials/volunteers||Lunch + refreshments. Think about how you will make hot drinks|
|5||Field cards||Templates here|
|6||Track cards||Buy here|
|7||Walkie Talkies||Available to hire from LUCA for £10. Email email@example.com|
|8||Permit||Print and display|
|9||Officials expenses forms||Coming soon|
|10||Withdrawal forms||Coming soon|
|11||Float||Minimum £30 float full of change advised|
After the event